Tuesday 29 October 2013

Sheldon Oberman Award 2013

It's so strange to think that a writer could ever become an award winning author without having been published before. It's not like writing is an industry like video games where you can be awarded with "Best of Show" or "Most Anticipated Game of 2013". But maybe I'm wrong. Sometimes it feels like I live under a rock.

That's why it caught me off guard when my novel was selected to receive the Sheldon Oberman Award from the Manitoba Association of Teachers of English. I don't exactly make it a secret that I'm a student-teacher or that I'm a writer, but to be awarded just for being exactly that and showing excellence in writing in amazingly exciting.

Here's a video of my acceptance speech for those who want to see it:


I still can't believe that I was given the award, but I'm not about to complain. Hopefully this will be able to propel my books towards publication so that I can finally get out there and be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment